Saturday, December 26, 2009

New Zealand

Well, I've been in New Zealand for a week now...absolutely amazing! So fun to see all these places where my husband has grown up, where he worked, went to church, see baby pictures, mission pictures, and meet all the people who adore him here. It has been so fun! He has introduced me to fish & chips (SO good), meat pies, hokey pokey ice cream, and much much more. It has been so fun. Lucky for me, J gave me his cold the DAY we got here, so I've been seeing everything through fuzziness and tissues. But it has still been fun. We have gone into Wellington, and to Upper Hutt. I was able to see a dear friend of mine, Zanj, who was one of the very first girls I met when I got to BYU-Hawaii. She is now home preparing to go on a mission and it was so fun to spend time with her.
I spent my very first Christmas away from home and snow. What a different experience! It was very hard for me, but I made it through and it was a pleasant day. We went from home to home eating. There was a small gift exchange on Christmas Eve, and it was nice. I was able to skype the family on my Christmas Day (their Christmas Eve). It was SO nice to see everyone's faces.
The day after Christmas, we went to "Boxing Day" which is like Black Friday. We went to the mall and everywhere looking for deals. They aren't that great of deals here, but I guess they do get paid more, but J and I got a few things :) It was fun to shop and look around. EVERYWHERE we go J runs into AT LEAST 4 people he knows. Which is so fun. I have met aunts, uncles, cousins, friends, etc. It is so fun to be around all of these people.
It's been quite cold here. J didn't explain to me that when he says it's summer here, he means, bring all your jackets, long pants, and scarves. I have been freezing! It's green tho, and so pretty. Rolling hills with sheep everywhere!
I have been opened up to alot of Samoan culture as I am now living in the home of the culture. I have never had these experiences before. It's good for me. It's very different. I have been indulging in Cocoa Samoa and Coconut Buns. It's been an adventure.
I am loving it, and trying to enjoy through my cold. We are road tripping it this week through the island to make our way to Auckland. J is so happy and I enjoy seeing him this way, and showing me everything. I'm so glad we were able to take this trip.
Merry Christmas, Happy New Year!!
(Pictures soon, I promise)

No comments: